Stuart Yeates wrote:

> A great deal of heat has been vented in this thread, and at least a
> little light.
>
> I'd like to invite everyone to contribute to the wikipedia page at
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenURL in the hopes that it evolves into a
> better overview of the protocol, the ecosystem and their place on th web.
>
> [Hint: the best heading for a rant wikipedia is 'criticisms' but you'll
> still need to reference the key points. Links into this thread count as
> references, if you can't find anything else.]

Good point - but writing Wikipedia articles is more work than discussing
on mailing lists ;-) Instead of improving the OpenURL article I started
to add to the more relevant[1] COinS article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COinS

Maybe some of you (Eric Hellman, Richard Cameron, Daniel Chudnov, Ross
Singer, Herbert Van de Sompel ...) could fix the history section which I
tried to reconstruct from historic sources[2] from the Internet without
violating the Wikipedia NPOV which is hard if you write about things you
were involved at.

Am I right that neither OpenURL nor COinS strictly defines a metadata
model with a set of entities/attributes/fields/you-name-it and their
definition? Apparently all ContextObjects metadata formats are based on
non-normative "implementation guidelines" only ??

Cheers
Jakob

[1] My bet: What will remain from OpenURL will be "a link server base
URL that you attach a COinS to"

[2] about five years ago, so its historic in terms of internet ;-) By
the way does anyone have a copy of
http://dbk.ch.umist.ac.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Metadata_in_HTML ?

--
Jakob Voß <[log in to unmask]>, skype: nichtich
Platz der Goettinger Sieben 1, 37073 Göttingen, Germany