Quoting Mike Taylor <[log in to unmask]>:

> It's a shame.  I can see the reasons why the committee took it the way
> they did, but the whole exercise has ended up smelling of architecture
> astronautics.  See this column if you're not familiar with the term,
> it's a good read:
>         http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000018.html

Speaking as someone who was on the committee, I can tell you that
there was not a consensus on "going astronautic." Although some of us
fought a good (well, at least hard) fight, the astronauts won. And if
you think the text of the final standard is dense, you should have
seen version 0.1! Eric Hellman wrote a revised version that was 1) in
English 2) made sense, but that, too, was rejected.

If you want to see my reaction to being presented with the "Bison
Fute'" model [1] on the first day of the OpenURL committee meeting,
download this [2] PPT and play it as a slide show (it is
self-animated). (It helps you get the joke if you know that "Bison
Fute'" means "wily buffalo".)

kc
[1] http://www.dlib.org/dlib/july01/vandesompel/07vandesompel.html
[2] http://kcoyle.net/presentations/cpm3.ppt