> Huh? JSON arrays preserve element order just like XML preserves element
> order.  Combining JSON labeled arrays and objects provide you with the
> same mechanisms available in markup languages such as XML.

Maybe I'm getting mixed up but is it not unsafe to assume that element order
will be preserved in all environments in for/foreach loops where the JSON
might be interpreted unless you specifically iterate through elements in
order? If I'm wrong, this is a total nonissue. Otherwise, there could be
side effects.

Don't get me wrong. JSON's a better way to go in general, and I think that
too much the focus on lossless preservation of the MARC record has a really
held us back. Given that significant portions of the MARC record are not
used for search, retrieval, or display, and many useful elements consist of
free text, faithfully preserving each field as an object to encode elements
such as extent of item or notes strikes me like using a chain saw to cut
butter.

kyle