Thanks for the tips.  I got it working with an XSLT stylesheet, which I have
attached for those who are interested.

You can generate a test xml file with the command line:

java -jar /path/to/saxon9.jar -s
http://id.loc.gov/authorities/feed/page/1/-xsl:/path/to/update-lcsh.xsl
date=2010-04-15 > test.xml

where date=2010-04-15 is a parameter that you can change.  It is passed to
the stylesheet and Saxon steps through the pages of the feed, extracting
those entries created after 2010-04-14.  I found it to be pretty fast.  I
can easily integrate this into an Orbeon pipeline to keep my Solr index of
LCSH terms up to date.

Ethan