My apologies to Jonathan, who will get this twice since I replied only to
him the first time

***

My Solr index is used for the storage of LCSH or localized subject terms.  I
have an XForms application for editing EAD, and the subject element utilizes
TermsComponent in the index for autosuggest.  It is quite fast, especially
with about 400,000 terms in the index.  I'll create another XForm app for
editing these Solr documents directly in a web form and creating new
localized ones.  Since Orbeon can post to Solr or any other REST interface,
making modifications directly to an index is quite simple.

A doc generated from the LOC's rdf file looks like:

<doc>
  <field name="created">1986-02-11T00:
00:00-04:00</field>
  <field name="id">sh85069593</field>
  <field name="modified">1992-08-07T14:52:50-04:00</field>
  <field name="source">loc</field>
  <field name="subject">Japanese</field>
</doc>

The index can also contain other controlled vocabularies, such as personal
or corporate names and places.

Ethan