Hi all,

I've been investigating the possibility of assigning DOI names to various
resources. We have three different use cases, and given the structure of the
DOI Registration Agency system, I'm not sure what the best way is to
proceed.

The use cases:

   1. We've had several inquiries from faculty whose research funding
   requires them to publish a web site, and identify the site with a DOI name
   for citation purposes.
   2. We'd like to assign unique DOI names to specific bitstreams within our
   institutional repository. Despite the fact that DSpace uses a handle server
   internally, the handles it assigns resolve to metadata/landing pages, and
   there doesn't seem to be a good way to create a reliable, persistent link to
   a full text PDF that will migrate easily to a different IR system if and
   when we choose to move away from DSpace.
   3. We're investigating the possibility of publishing a couple journals,
   and would want to use DOI names to identify articles and related content.

However, it looks like each existing DOI Registration Agency has a specific
subset of content and services they work with -- journal articles for one,
datasets for another, etc. -- and I'm not sure how to go about finding an
agency that will let us assign suffixes in a way that works with our varied
content.

Any suggestions/experience would be greatly appreciated.

Michael