I would even argue with the statement "very detailed, well over 1,000
different data elements, some well-coded data (not all)". There are only 11
(yes, eleven) MARC fields that appear in 20% or more of MARC records
currently in WorldCat[1], and at least three of those elements are control
numbers or other elements that contribute nothing to actual description. I
would say overall that we would do well to not gloat about our metadata
until we've reviewed the facts on the ground. Luckily, now we can.
Roy

[1] http://www.oclc.org/research/publications/library/2010/2010-06.pdf