Different communities use "metasearch" and "federated search" to mean
exactly exchanged meanings. So I don't know what YOU mean by
"'metasearch' instead of real 'federated search'", Jakob, heh.

I prefer the terms:
* Broadcast search
* Aggregated index

But some people use "metasearch" to mean the former and some the latter;
some people use "federated search" to mean the former, and some the
latter.  Both uses are quite popular.  So I stick to terms above which I
think are harder to confuse.

Jonathan