Having read the rest of this thread, I find that nothing that's been
said changes my initial gut reaction on reading this question: DO NOT
USE DCTERMS.  It's vocabulary is Just Plain Inadequate, and not only
for esoteric cases like the Alternative Chronological Designation of
First Issue or Part of Sequence field that Karen mentioned.  Despite
having 70 (seventy!) elements, it's lacking fundamental fields for
describing articles in journals -- there are no journalTitle, volume,
issue, startPage or endPage fields.  That, for me, is a deal-breaker.

(For anyone who wonders: MODS does have a way to represent these
elements, although they are unnecessarily complicated as the example
at
        http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/v3/modsjournal.xml
shows.)

For anyone who enjoys weeping freely, I recommend the document
Guidelines for Encoding Bibliographic Citation Information in Dublin
Core Metadata, available at
        http://dublincore.org/documents/dc-citation-guidelines/index.shtml