Quoting Chad Fennell <[log in to unmask]>:

>> 2. MARC21 bib data -- very detailed, well over 1,000 different data
>> elements
>
> I can understand appreciating the richness of #2, but 1k data elements
> (choices I have to make) seems, to me, more like evidence of a core
> problem with MARC21 than a core strength.

While you can surely create bibliographic data with less, it may not
be possible to create detailed bibliographic data with less. One of
the issues with MARC is that those data elements attempt to cover
every possible resource that libraries may wish to describe, and with
the greatest possible detail. Many of the lesser used ones, as has
been discussed here, are for less common types of materials or for
libraries with a special point of view. A more rational approach, IMO,
would create a general description set (probably numbering 20-50),
then expanding that for more detail and for different materials. Users
of the sets could define the "zones" they wish to use in an
application profile, so no one would have to carry around data
elements that they are sure they will not use. It would also provide a
simple but compatible set for folks who don't want to do the whole
"library description" bit.

It may be possible to simplify MARC somewhat using different
technology assumptions. For example, there are a lot of "parallel
title" fields for those cases where a document has its title in more
than one language (usually international body publications). If you
are able to code the language of the title then you may not need to
have all of the parallel title fields. (Not sure that will work...
just an example.) I also think we should be able to get rid of many of
the fixed fields -- because we should be coding our data as data, not
as text that then requires a fixed field so it is easier to process.
We will still have many hundreds of fields. BIBO, which many people
seem to like, has almost 200 data elements and classes, and is greatly
lacking in some areas (e.g. maps, music).

Note also that MARC includes many data elements for things that FRBR
considers to be separate entities, like people and subjects. Those
could have their own sets of elements, which would probably be richer
than today's authority record.

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net