Quoting "Walker, David" <[log in to unmask]>:

> Here are some stats from Cal State San Marcos for the past 6 1/2
> years (2003-10) .  All searches other than keyword are browse
> searches.
>
>   keyword = 596,111
>   title = 158,761
>   author = 59,293
>   subject = 23,692
>   call number = 9,477
>   form / genre = 4,838
>   other numbers = 14,636
>
> So:
>
>   keyword = 596,111
>   browse = 270,697

This is an interesting example of how the interface guides (or
constrains, in this case) users. If you want to do a title "search"
you have only the browse option. The FCLA system has both title
keyword search and title browse. In that catalog, only 3% of the users
opted to browse. In the figure above, all we know is that some
percentage of users wanted to search on title, and browse was the only
option.

kc

--
Karen Coyle