Quoting "Frumkin, Jeremy" <[log in to unmask]>:

> In general, a Buy approach is easiest to determine TCO, while a
> Build approach is the most difficult. Generally, there are more
> unknowns with a Build than there are with a Buy. The more unknowns,
> the greater risk of inaccurate cost estimates.

I know this is the common wisdom, but I've had experiences where Buy
turned out to be much more expensive than expected. If the product is
mature and stable and you expect to do almost no customizing, yes,
then Buy is predictable. But if you're on the cutting edge, it's a new
vendor offering, you expect to customize, then Buy can have all kinds
of hidden costs. In the end, Buy can be more expensive than Build
because you have to struggle with a product over which you have no
control.

When pitting Buy v. Borrow v. Build, functionality has to be taken
into account. What do you want the software to do? How big is the
market for your functionality? (that is, are vendors likely to step up
to this plate?) Are vendors already offering this?

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net