Hmm, you could theoretically assign chars in the private unicode area to
the chars you need -- but then have your application replace those chars
by small images on rendering/display.

This seems as clean a solution as you are likely to find. Your TEI
solution still requires chars-as-images for these unusual chars, right?
So this is no better with regard to copying-and-pasting, browser
display,  and general interoperability than your TEI solution, but no
worse either -- it's pretty much the same thing. But it may be better in
terms of those considerations for chars that actually ARE currently
unicode codepoints.

If any of your "private" chars later become non-private unicode
codepoints, you could always globally replace your private codepoints
with the new standard ones.

With 137K "private codepoints" available, you _probably_ wouldn't run
out. I think.  You could try standardizing these "private" codepoints
among people in similar contexts/communities to you and your needs -- it
looks like there are several existing efforts to document shared uses of
"private codepoints" for chars that do not have official unicode
codepoints. They are mentioned in the wikipedia article.

[Reading that wikipedia article taught me something new I didn't know
about Marc21 and unicode too -- a topic generally on top of my pile
these days -- "The MARC 21 standard uses the [Private Use Area] to
encode East Asian characters present in MARC-8 that have no Unicode
encoding." Who knew? ]

Jonathan