On 18 May 2010 15:52, Jonathan Rochkind <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> What terms do you suggest, Mike?

"First, do no harm."

The current situation with federated/meta/broadcast search is
certainly unfortunate; but introducing yet a fourth term to mean the
same thing is not going to make things better.

> I think we're doomed no matter what [...]

I think you should have finished your message there :-)

> [...] with these, after certain communities
> started to use "federated search" and "metasearch" in directly opposite
> ways.

What communities?  Maybe we on the CODE4LIB list collectively carry
enough weight that we could take the most prevalent meanings and
propagate them?

> I also was told recently that what is called an "accordion" in English is
> called a "bandoneon" in Spanish, and what is called a "accordeon" in Spanish
> is called a "bandoneon" in English.

For what it's worth, and I say this as a fully paid-up Englishman, I
have never heard of a bandoneon.