Since we generally return results asynchronously to client systems from our MSSE (fed/meta/broadcast/aggregated/parallel/Multi-Server/Search Engine) I would just point out that we use other protocols than SRU when doing so. When we do use SRU on the client side, then we send back the results in a complete set. Otherwise we send them in tranches on a timescale controlled by the client system, usually about every 2 seconds.

Obviously an SRU-async protocol is possible, but would it be used? As a MSSE we would use it to get results from Sources, so they could be processed earlier (smaller response time) and more smoothly. But that would require Source servers implemented it, and what would their incentive be to implement it?

For direct use with end users it would mean a browser client capable of retrieving and managing the partial data is needed. Middleware systems (between the MSSE and the user) would need to support it, and pass the benefit to the user. Any system doing heavy analysis of the results would probably not want (and may not be able) to start than analysis until all the results are obtained, because of the added messiness of handling partial results sets, from multiple Sources (it is messy - believe me).

I would be very happy to see such a protocol (and have it implemented), and if Jakub implemented browser code to handle that end, then the users could benefit.

Peter

Peter Noerr
CTO. MuseGlobal
www.museglobal.com