Quoting MJ Suhonos <[log in to unmask]>:

> Sure, my goal is simple in theory and complex in practice: take a
> pile of MARC records and turn them into a set of DCTERMS (I'll avoid
>  reference to the older QDC notion) so that I can do interesting
> things with them — the simplest use case being exposing a "record"
> as a pile of RDF triples.

dcterms so so terribly lossy that it would be a shame to reduce MARC
to it. What we need, ASAP, is a triple form of MARC (and I know some
folks have experimented with this...) and a translate from MARC to the
RDA elements that have been registered in RDF. However, I hear that
JSC is going to be adding more detail to the RDA elements so that
could mean changes coming down the pike.

I started to create a MARC/RDA crosswalk out of the JSC document that
compares them, but there were catches: 1) the document wasn't specific
enough 2) there are going to have to be lots of 'if-then-else's
incorporated into it.

I am interested in working on "MARC as triples", which I see as a
transformation format. I have a database of MARC elements that might
be a crude basis for this. Again, some logic will be needed to get the
real meaning out of the MARC fields and subfields. I would appreciate
hearing from anyone who has done some or all of this.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net