I do suggest you look at your locations carefully before you dive in.

For the reserved stock held in boxes the location is in the box, the
box has its own location. Moving the box to a new shelf in another
room becomes a simple single update to the boxes location.

Some contain other items in the sleeve or pocket so a location is "in
an item" and its ID.

And people like to move shelves around but thats covered in the
code4lib article.

I am implementing barcodes so I can stock check and update the
locations of books on a shelf or box etc, I put the barcode on the
spines and on the loose contents of a book (as the loose contents were
"in" a book the shelf check will assume they are still in the book) so
its just a few seconds to check, this also sets any book that was
supposed to be there to a missing state.

Dave Caroline