Well, this is the thing: we're a small, highly-specialized collection,
so I'm not talking about indexing the whole range of content which a
university like JHU or even a small liberal arts college would need
to--it's really a matter of a few key databases in our field(s). Don't
get me wrong, it's still a slightly crazy idea, but I'm dissatisfied
enough with existing solutions that I'd like to try it.

On 6/30/2010 4:15 PM, Jonathan Rochkind wrote:
> A little bit of both, I think. A library probably _could_ negotiate
> access to that content... but it would be a heck of a lot of work.
> When the staff time to negotiations come in, it becomes a good value
> proposition, regardless of how much the licensing would cost you.  And
> yeah, then the staff time to actually ingest and normalize and
> troubleshoot data-flows for all that stuff on the regular basis --
> I've heard stories of libraries that tried to do that in the early 90s
> and it was nightmarish.

I wonder if they would, in fact, demand licensing fees. I mean, we're
already paying a subscription, and they're already exposing their
content as a target for federated search applications (which probably do
some caching for performance)...
--
Cory Rockliff
Technical Services Librarian