I agree with Mark that the Biblio module would be really good for
this. I'm using it on a project right now to keep track of
publications related to particular OCLC Web services. Can add
additional fields with CCK if you want. Can create different displays
with Views. Should be able to expose the data for other applications
to consume as well. There are a few different options for this. Maybe
Mark has a particular suggestion about this? I've been doing it with
Views and Views Datasource. I also have played with the Services and
REST Server modules.

Karen