Hi Tom,

The mapping the library project started out (in my head) as simply using existing mapping tools to provide an interface to a map. The way the project went when we sat down and played for a day was slightly different, although still vaguely interesting :)

The thinking behind using Google Maps (which would apply to other 'mapping' interfaces - e.g. OpenLayers) was simply you get a set of tools that are designed to help navigation round a physical space. You can dispense with the geographic representation and simply use your own floorplan images. Whether this is the way to go probably depends on your requirements - but you would get functions like the ability to drop markers etc. 'for free' as it were, and also a well documented approach as the GMaps etc APIs come with good documentation.

However, more than once it has been suggested that this is a more complex approach than is required (I'm still not convinced by this - I think there are real strengths to this 'off the shelf' approach)

Some other bits and pieces that may be of interest:

My writeup of the day we worked on the Mapping the Library project http://www.meanboyfriend.com/overdue_ideas/2009/12/mashing-and-mapping/
A JISC funded project to look at producing 'item locator' service at the LSE http://findmylibrarybook.blogspot.com/

Owen

Owen Stephens