On Jun 30, 2010, at 8:43 PM, Blake, Miriam E wrote:

> We have locally loaded records from the ISI databases, INSPEC,
> BIOSIS, and the Department of Energy (as well as from full-text
> publishers, but that is another story and system entirely.) Aside
> from the contracts, I can also attest to the major amount of
> work it has been. We have 95M bibliographic records, stored in >
> 75TB of disk, and counting. Its all running on SOLR, with a local
> interface and the distributed aDORe repository on backend. ~ 2
> FTE keep it running in production now.

I definitely think what is outlined above -- local indexing -- is the way to go in the long run. Get the data. Index it. Integrate it into your other system. Know that you have it when you change or drop the license. No renting of data. And, "We don't need no stinkin' interfaces!" I believe a number of European institutions have been doing this for a number of years. I hear a few of us in the United States following suit.  ++

--
Eric Morgan
University of Notre Dame.