Although CrossRef is the best known, there are a handful of other agencies that issue DOIs with different missions, implementations, and governance.  One example that may be of interest is DataCite [1], which was formed by a consortium of national and research libraries to persist links to research datasets.

[1] http://www.datacite.org

-
Michael Witt, Purdue University
Interdisciplinary Research Librarian