Just to bring things back to where (I think) we started. I think people are
talking about three separate things here:

 * URIs for bibliographic works (which, as Karen pointed out, are missing
some crucial bits of info like page numbers)
 * Actual text representations of a citation in a variety of
thick-book-specified formats (e.g., ALA, MLA)
 * The cites/cited-by graph for everything everywhere.

I understood the original post to be about the latter. E.g., if every book,
chapter, section, and article actually had a DOI, then we could build a
doi[1] references doi[2] graph and be done with it. Since everything doesn't
have a DOI, the question is in two parts: (a) how do we algorithmically
generate unique URIs in a way that guarantees preservation of the identity
relationship, and (b) how do we actually generate/store/query the resulting
graph.

Jodi, is any of this correct?

--
Bill Dueber