As others have noted, a little user testing goes a long way.

Anyway, on our upcoming site we've opted for A-Z buttons + an
autocomplete box labelled "Quick Database Browse" (although I don't
think this particular bit of language has been tested yet). Both of
these are browse options and assume the user knows the name of the
database they want; if they don't, we'd like to route them through our
research guides:

http://www.ithacalibrary.com/lib2010/articles/

Andrew

--