As others have suggested I think much of this is around the practicalities
of negotiating access, and the server power & expertise needed to run the
service - simply more efficient to do this in one place.

For me the change that we need to open this up is for publishers to start
pushing out a lot more of this data to all comers, rather than having to
have this conversation several times over with individual sites or
suppliers. How practical this is I'm not sure - especially as we are talking
about indexing full-text where available (I guess). I think the Google News
model (5-clicks free) is an interesting one - but not sure whether this, or
a similar approach, would work in a niche market which may not be so
interested in total traffic.

It seems (to me) obviously in the publishers interest for their content to
be as easily discoverable as possible that I am optimistic they will
gradually become more open to sharing more data that aids this - at least
metadata. I'd hope that this would eventually open up the market to a
broader set of suppliers, as well as institutions doing their own thing.

Owen

--
Owen Stephens
Owen Stephens Consulting