The argument I've tried to make to content vendors (just in casual
conversation, never in actual negotiations) is that we'll still send the
user to their platform for actually accessing the text, we just want the
"metadata" (possibly including textual fulltext for searching) for
_searching_.  So they can still meter and completely control actual
article access.

Sadly, in casual conversation, I have not generally found this to be
persuasive with content vendors. Especially ones which are metadata
aggregators only without any fulltext in the first place, heh.
Publishers are more open to this -- but then publishers may have been
ensnared in exclusive contracts with aggregators that leave them unable
to do it even if they wanted. (See EBSCO).

I wrote on article on this a couple years ago in Library Journal. In
retrospect, I think my article is over-optimistic about the technical
feasibility of doing this -- running a Solr instance isn't that bad, but
the technical issues of maintaining the regular flow of updates from
dozens of content providers, and normalizing all data to go in the same
index, are non-trivial, I think now.

http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6413442.html