I'm planning on moving ahead with a proof-of-concept in the next year,
after which I will certainly consider writing it up.

I really hope I can get the go-ahead from database vendors. It's good to
hear that a few institutions have successfully negotiated with
them--anyone from Los Alamos, the Scholars Portals, or any other local
indexers feel free to give me pointers on smooth-talking the vendors! :)

I also hope you're wrong in maintaining, in the article you linked to,
that "using controlled vocabularies for retrieval will never work well
across databases that use different vocabularies." The (admittedly
arduous and complex) work of crosswalking library-created controlled
vocabularies like LCSH to periodical index thesauri and other formal and
less-formal indexing languages out in the wild is *exactly* what I think
librarians should be spending their time doing. Catalogers (and I
include myself) spend a lot of time making largely irrelevant tweaks to
already-existing MARC records before exporting them into our local
ILSes, but article-level metadata from vendors is generally served up to
the user as-is.

I think Roy Tennant, as quoted in your article, is spot-on when he says
that "our inability to do any preprocessing of the data is a major
hindrance." The data sources we subscribe to should be seen as starting
points for generating a user experience, rather than letting the vendors
decide what the discovery process is going to be like.

Cory

--
Cory Rockliff
Technical Services Librarian