Stuart,

Sorry, I didn't mean to discount citation representations along other content-negotiable dimensions. It seems likely that BCP-47 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5646> will eventually be upgraded to recognize signwriting. If so, my URI pattern suggestion could be extended to support language, script, etc. like so:

http://example.org/manifestation/1/citation-apa.{bcp-47}.txt

In FRBR, serials are recognized as a distinct class so I assume this URI pattern could be applied to suit all:

http://example.org/serial/2/citation-apa.{bcp-47}.txt (text/plain)

Jeff