> Just to bring things back to where (I think) we started. I think
people
> are
> talking about three separate things here:
>
>  * URIs for bibliographic works (which, as Karen pointed out, are
> missing
> some crucial bits of info like page numbers)

"URIs for bibliographic works": I assume you mean "works" in the sense
of frbr:Group1 or possibly owl:Thing.

(As an aside, does code4lib ever talk about OWL?)

>  * Actual text representations of a citation in a variety of
> thick-book-specified formats (e.g., ALA, MLA)

Consider the URI patterns I suggested.

>  * The cites/cited-by graph for everything everywhere.

If "cites" and "cited-by" are the only verbs you find acceptable, then
define them as owl:inverseOf properties in an ontology. Honestly, I will
help. Consider irw:isAbout and irw:isTopicOf as existing alternatives,
though. Linked Data RWOs and Web Documents presumably serve the same
purpose. Web standard solutions already exist for this part.

> I understood the original post to be about the latter. E.g., if every
> book,
> chapter, section, and article actually had a DOI, then we could build
> doi[1] references doi[2] graph and be done with it. Since everything
> doesn't
> have a DOI, the question is in two parts: (a) how do we
algorithmically
> generate unique URIs in a way that guarantees preservation of the
> identity
> relationship,

You should believe that URIs are names. It is impossible to express
semantics adequately in a name. That's what HTTP GET and RDF are for.

> and (b) how do we actually generate/store/query the
> resulting
> graph.

Use Linked Data.

Jeff