Hi,

I do not know which is the best place to ask and the topic is a bit
sensible but maybe one of you know more. Frustrated by the lack of
libraries to quickly deliver some academic articles from the 1970s that
have only been published in digitized form on CD-ROM and DVD I thought
about the use of peer2peer networks for academic and E-Learning
material. Of course this is often against copyright law but I know that
scholars just share non-open-access articles with their colleauges.
However to what degree? For instance is P2P more used in countries that
have less library budgets and less strict copyright law enforcement?

I would not wonder if you can get most copyrighted academic material in
P2P networks but it is not easy to get a realistic view - many trackers
are accessible on invitation only and they come and go quickly. Here are
some I found on a quick search:

http://Bitme.org seems to be the largest one
http://ScienceHD.info - mostly documentaries
http://docspedia.org/ - (aka Docs.Torrent.Ro), ebooks?
http://learnbits.me/ - e-learning ?
..

More can be found for instance at http://www.torrentking.org/?cat=Elearn
and
http://filenetworks.blogspot.com/search/label/Torrent%20Sites%20-%20E-Learning%20Trackers

Do you know of any studies that give insight to the coverage and impact
of such P2P networks to the access to academic material? Or any articles
about the relations between institutional libraries and P2P-based
digital libraries?

Cheers
Jakob

--
Jakob Voß <[log in to unmask]>, skype: nichtich
Platz der Goettinger Sieben 1, 37073 Göttingen, Germany