Hi Jonathan,

> So in our marc records, we have these 856 links, the meaning of which is
> basically "some web page related to the entity at hand." You don't
> really know the relation, the granularity is not there.

There is some *minimal* indication of the relationship via the second indicator of the 856 (and subfield $3, for a related resource) [1]:

  Second Indicator - Relationship

	Relationship between the electronic resource at the location specified in field 856
	and the item described in the record as a whole.

	Used to provide further information about the relationship if it is not a one-to-one relationship.

		# - No information provided

		0 - Resource

			Electronic location in field 856 is for the same resource described by the record as
			a whole. In this case, the item represented by the bibliographic record is an
			electronic resource. If the data in field 856 relates to a constituent unit of the
			resource represented by the record, subfield $3 is used to specify the portion(s) to
			which the field applies. The display constant Electronic resource: may be generated.

		1 - Version of resource

			Location in field 856 is for the same resource described by the record as a whole. In
			this case, the item represented by the bibliographic record is not electronic but an
			electronic version is available. If the data in field 856 relates to a constituent
			unit of the resource represented by the record, subfield $3 is used to specify the
			portion(s) to which the field applies. The display constant Electronic version: may be
			generated.

		2 - Related resource

			Location in field 856 is for an electronic resource that is related to the bibliographic
			item described by the record. In this case, the item represented by the bibliographic
			record is not the electronic resource itself. Subfield $3 can be used to further
			characterize the relationship between the electronic item identified in field 856 and the
			item represented by the bibliographic record as a whole. The display constant Related
			electronic resource: may be generated.

		8 - No display constant generated

Of course, subfield $3 values are not any kind of controlled vocabulary, so it's hard to do much with them programmatically.

-- Michael

[1] From: http://www.loc.gov/marc/holdings/hd856.html

# Michael Doran, Systems Librarian
# University of Texas at Arlington