On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:17:28 -0400, Bell, Mike (Libraries)
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>One of my teams is considering building a system for handling library
>class signup.  That is, for one-time classes such as "How to Search
>Pubmed," not for enrollment in academic courses like BIO101.

>Before building it, we are looking around to see if there is already
>something out there that could do it for us (either open-source or
>commercial).  Do you have any suggestions?

Mike-

I just built a system here at Notre Dame that does everything you're looking
to do. It can handle one or more authentication and authorization systems,
skinning the system is entirely flexible, it sends out iCal attachments for
classes, reminders, various notifications, has a class evaluation system, etc.

I wrote this in Perl using the Catalyst framework, and it runs on our
systems under mod_perl. Catalyst is really a joy to work with, but it will
be a learning curve for folks who either have not use Perl or have not used
a web development framework like Ruby on Rails. The folks here needed
something that was flexible and extendible according to our needs and I've
built it up over time, but if you know Perl it could easily be further
modularized.

If you're interested, I have the code base in SVN, and I could sanitize it
package it up and send it to you, but I can't really offer support.

Rob Fox
Hesburgh Libraries
University of Notre Dame