You can accomplish this using Drupal and the following modules.

Sign-up - for enrollment and reminders
LDAP integration
Notifications/messaging
Calendar
Views - works with Calendar to output course scheduling in calendar format
          -  also for building class lists, attendance lists are handled by the Sign-up module but you might also do it in
CCK - create a workshop content type with start and end date field.
Events[optional]
Faceted search to limit searches to the workshop content type

Ian Chan
Web Development Librarian
California State University San Marcos
7606834234