I also think it's better to store EAD in a separate system rather than in
the Solr index, that way you can use blacklight to serialize it or store a
reference to a separate delivery system.  Bess's and Matt's approach to
storing the whole collection (EAD file) as a solr document in addition to
making each item accessible in blacklight is a good one.  Hopefully this
will encourage institutions to use EAD in its fullest and encode items at a
very detailed level.  I'd say at least 95% of finding aids I have seen have
little more than title, date, and container for items, if items are
enumerated at all.  The thing about most EAD delivery systems is that they
assume you wish to use EAD in its traditional form, as an electronic finding
aid that you wish to render in full on the screen.  Most systems don't
accommodate an emphasis on item level encoding, display, and findability.

Ethan