Andy,
I have to say that my experiences with MARCEdit have been very different. I
have found it to be fast, not buggy, and completely capable of doing what I
needed doing. Mind you, I had some specific tasks I needed to accomplish,
but your account of it as "slow, buggy and always trapped in windows of
fixed sizes" was surprising to me. I have never found it slow or buggy, and
as for "trapped in windows of fixed sizes", as an iPad user sometimes using
iPhone-sized apps, I can feel your pain if that is the case, but I don't
recall ever feeling the pain with MARCEdit. Also, in all cases I've found
Terry to be very responsive to issues, as you can see from his reply to you.
I'd suggest your best avenue would be to pursue Terry's kind offer, as he
may be able to suggest a strategy for using MARCEdit that you haven't
discovered.
Roy