On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Ethan Gruber <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Thanks for the info.  Nokogiri is alright, but I've found that, as far as
> XML processing goes, Saxon is above and beyond the best.  Is it possible
> fire off a Java call from Ruby to have Saxon handle it, or not?  Are you
> using Nokogiri to call an XSLT process or using Ruby to generate the view?

The current approach in the EAD plugin I wrote uses the Nokogiri DOM
parser. The approach I hope to take is to use the Nokogiri SAX parser.
In the past I've tried the Nokogiri XSLT parser and ran into continual
segfaults. Since I can do page or partial caching, I don't need it to
be super fast--just acceptably fast the first time while I warm the
cache. The flexibility and easy debugging in Ruby has some advantages
in development to my mind over XSLT.

There's no reason why you couldn't call out to an external
transformation service to render the collection guide page partial in
whole or in part, and in that case the transformation service could be
written however you want.

Jason