On Aug 6, 2010, at 8:07 PM, Jonathan Rochkind wrote:

> I've been brainstorming other weird ways to do this. This one is totally wacky and possibly a bad idea, but I'll throw it out there anyway. What if you only indexed the entire EAD as one document, BUT threw the entire EAD in a stored field, and used solr highlightning on that field.  NOT to show the highlighter results to the user, but to sort of trick the highlighter, using hl.fragmenter/fragmentsBuilder (possibly with a custom component in a jar) to telling you _which_ sub-sections of the EAD matched, and your software could then display the matching sub-sections (possibly with direct links to display) in the search results, under the actual document hit.

Hi, Jonathan. I don't think this is a crazy idea, and in fact it is one of the approaches that Matt M. and I tried during our NWDA project. However, we found that it wasn't scalable. The highlighter was way too slow with the number of documents and fragments we were throwing at it. It wasn't even a huge number of documents, so we abandoned that idea. However, it's still a really elegant solution if only it were performant. Let me know if you decide to give it a try.

Bess