And Michael Doran's own Code4Lib conference presentation is also worth a glance, if you like (or are neutral towards) videos instead of texts.

Oops, except it looks like maybe video isn't available yet?  What ever happened to the video from the last conf?  Or is it available but not linked to from the presentation page? Well, anyway, here's powerpoints.

http://code4lib.org/conference/2010/doran
From: Code for Libraries [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Doran, Michael D [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:46 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] mobile web design: resources?

Hi Ken,

> Does anyone else have a favorite book or three for this kind of work?

If you're looking for web page and web app development vs. native app development, you might want to consider these books:

  Mobile Design and Development: Practical concepts and techniques for creating mobile sites and web apps
  By Brian Fling
  Publisher: O'Reilly Media
  Released: August 2009
  http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596155452

  Programming the Mobile Web
  By Maximiliano Firtman
  Publisher: O'Reilly Media
  Released: July 2010
  http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596807795

I just bought copies of both, but won't get to read them until I return from vacation in September, so can't provide any reviews yet...

You'll also probably want to investigate some of the freely-available mobile web development frameworks like iUI, iWebKit, and jQTouch.  Note that some of the documentation on the iPhone developers website focuses on *web* development and is excellent.

Also be aware that for cross-platform mobile testing and development, the various mobile device SDKs (e.g. for iPhone, Android, Palm OS) come with simulators.

-- Michael

# Michael Doran, Systems Librarian
# University of Texas at Arlington
# 817-272-5326 office