From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Susan Teague Rector
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2010 10:27 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] usability question: searching for a database (not in a database)

This screams out 'usability test' to me - even if it's a short 5 minute survey of students as they walk through the door. We know from past usability testing that databases are one of most confusing things on a library web site - I would definitely test your assumptions.
Cheers,
Susan

>>> Andreas Orphanides <[log in to unmask]> 07/30/10 9:05 AM >>>
Another thing that could help clarify the role of the search box would be to
have some type-ahead action. This would cue the user as to what it is they are
actually searching for, and also give them an opportunity to skip past the
results screen if they select a full title from the type-ahead. Of course, this
would require a bit more infrastructure to support.

-dre.