(Apologies for cross-listing)

Has your library used QR Codes, or other Augmented reality (AR) tools
in exciting and innovative ways?  Are you looking for an opportunity
to present at ALA?  The RUSA MARS Hot Topics in Electronic Reference
Discussion Group seeks panelists for its upcoming program at ALA
Midwinter 2011: "Layers of Reality:  Extending Library Services and
Resources through QR Codes and Augmented Reality."  With simple and
often free technologies, QR codes may be created and added to posters,
signage, and other promotional literature.   These embedded codes,
which often appear to be barcodes (or oddly shaped icons), may be
processed by camera phones and PDAs to direct the user to online
information.  Augmented reality takes existing visual or video
information and adds additional layers of computer graphics, pattern
recognition, and other visual effects.

We're looking for presenters who have used these new and emerging
tools to bridge the gap between the print and digital environments, as
well as any operational or purely functional applications. The
discussion could also be expanded to look at the use of these
technologies for marketing and outreach programs.  Our session will
focus on presenting these tools, their present and future
applications, and discussing their possible uses for improving
reference service.  Presentations are informal and are intended to
jumpstart discussion among the attendees.  The discussion will be held
Saturday, January 8th, 2011 at the ALA Midwinter conference in San
Diego, CA.  If you are interested in serving as a panelist, please
contact Matt Torrence ([log in to unmask]) with a short (<400 words)
summary or proposal by November 15th, 2010.  We're flexible on the
final number for our panel, but expect 3-4 speakers with 15-20 minutes
each.

Valerie Waldron
              (734)647-1972
Computer & Video Game Archive Manager