Hi Daniel,

Converting from MS Word to EAD is technically achievable.  But, all your MS
Word finding aids have to be formated in a very specific way as the
conversion is powered by macros that match specific formating with specific
tagging.  Chances are you would have to reformat all your finding aids to
the new format, which may be as time consuming as hand coding.  Check out
the Bentley EAD Templates and Macros web page for specifics <
http://bentley.umich.edu/EAD/bhlfiles.php>.

If faced with these two options, I would opt for hand coding.  You will
learn so much more about EAD and it's potential.  If you totally rely on the
macro converter, your limited to what the macros are built to do.

Best,
Nathan