I think a lot of people have hit the nail on the head.  One has to weigh the
time and effort for creating/modifying the script and doing QA on the result
vs. the time it takes to encode the docs as text files from scratch.  I
think that someone who is well-trained in EAD would be much faster per
document than the scripting method.  The script-outputted EAD files are
likely to contain a number of errors that could take at least as long to fix
vs. the manual method.  You might be able to automate some easier structural
components, but each file has to be opened and checked by a human to make
sure it not only parses, but is semantically correct.  I have migrated ~5000
TEI files in the same manner.  Regular expression find/replace can only get
you so far.

Ethan