On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 7:28 AM, Wayne Lam <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Any people have experience in exporting bib data in Innovative Interface
> to sort of XML db? How is it going to be done actually?
> and What could be the best way of doing this?

What's the use case you have in mind? Also, when say bib data, does that
mean item data is not needed?

IMO, the easiest way to get bib data out of III is just doing a MARC dump of
the bib files. The process is clean, you can convert the data to whatever
format you like, and you're golden

If you are only interested in certain fields, it might be easier to use
delimited output from Create Lists -- particularly if how the fields are
indexed in III is important to you.

The other major alternatives include making sure xrecord is enabled and then
just picking all the records up in XML. Unless the III specific fields (e.g.
bcodes, suppression codes, etc) or what internal III tags are associated
with each MARC field are important for your application, I recommend against
this approach. III generates the second suckiest XML I've seen in my life so
it's a PITA to work with (the State of Oregon CMS generates XML with a level
of suckiness that will never be topped).

You can also crawl the public OPAC and parsing the textual representation of
the MARC bib record. If you don't have admin rights on the machine, this is
not a horrible way to go since you don't need to worry about waiting for
people to help you, dealing with Create List files that are only a tiny
fraction the size of the entire DB, etc. III bib records are numbered
sequentially, so it's easy enough to guess an entire database and pull up
every record in the webopac by bib control number.

kyle