i'm not a coder but i undertook a study of XML some years after it
came onto the scene and with a likely confused notion that it would be
the next significant technology, I learned some XSL and later was able
to weave PubMed Central journal information (CSV transformed into XML)
together with Dublin Core metadata of journal articles into MARCXML
during harvest with MarcEdit (which the inestimable Terry Reece
continues to tweak).  Also used the same XML journal data to augment
NLM  journal records with PubMed Central holdings and other data with
a transform in my IDE though it took me weeks to get right..so, no
asperations to become a coder.

Probably did not get all of the MARC cataloging rules right and I can
empathize with those who come to MARC and cataloging standards without
cataloging training, experience. My library experience was primarily
as library director...my expertise on library specializations would
always be under question.

regards,
dana

--