>>> What's wrong with the library world developing its own domain language?
>>

>>EVERYTHING!!!!!!!
>>
>>We're already in a world of pain because we have our own data formats and
>>ways of dealing with them, all of which have basically stood idle while 30
>>years of advances computer science and information architecture have
whizzed
>>by us with a giant WHOOSHing sound.
>>
>>Having a bunch of non-experts design and implement a language that's
>>destined from the outset to be stuck in a tiny little ghetto of the
>>programming world is a guaranteed way to live with half- or un-supported
>>code, no decent libraries, and yet another legacy of pain we'd have to
>>support.
>>
>> I'm not picking on programming in particular. It's a dumb-ass move  EVERY
>>time a library is presented with a problem for which there are experts and
>>decades of research literature, and it choses to ignore all of that and
>>decide to throw a committee of librarians (or whomever else happens to be
in
>>the building at the time) at it based on the vague idea that librarians
are
>>just that much smarter (or cheaper) than everyone else (I'm looking at
you,
>>usability...)

then Peter said:

My hope is that some among us would just undertake these problems ourselves.
>  Outside of the realm of the libraries and the limiting mindsets many of us
> work in.  We've all got ideas.  Fire up vi and get busy and make something
> happen, like a library domain-specific language.  Start fresh.  There is
> nothing wrong with that.  What's wrong is how the library community goes
> about such things.

Yes, he hit the nail square on the head.  But i think his point is that a
huge community of really intelligent people (specifically, not librarians,
but generally, not just every isolated pobody with a hair-brain scheme) hit
vi and got busy a long time ago.

What do you expect to gain from the huge PIA you propose at the cost of
sacrificing everything a HUGE community of skilled programmers offers?

have fun.

-elliot