Colgate University built an on-site ASRS in 2005 as part of renovating our
entire main library.  During the 2 years of construction on the building,
our services were dispersed among several buildings on campus and the
high-use portion of the collection that remained available to our students
during that  time was entirely housed in the ASRS, requested through our
online catalog, and delivered to our circulation point in utility vehicle
loads. Of course, we also made major use of the ConnectNY user-initiated
resource sharing and traditional ILL.  There was user dissatisfaction at
first, but one thing we learned is that patrons were greatly pleased when we
made a public awareness campaign to show them how to virtually browse the
stacks in call-number order using the OPAC.  The other thing we heard when
we moved back into our renovated building was that students were
disappointed that they had to go to the stacks and find the books
themselves! And faculty were disappointed when we stopped delivering
directly to their offices, of course - but we want them to come to the
library :) .  When we opened the new building, we brought up the Encore
discovery system, and blended it into the classic OPAC site as our keyword
search (classic indexes are still available in other tabs). Encore doesn't
have a virtual call number browse feature, but we have asked for this as an
enhancement - either a linear browse of the shelves, or a hierarchical call
number facet drill-down.

Cindy Harper, Systems Librarian
Colgate University Libraries
315-228-7363