Thanks for the information!
Greenstone has full text search, but I heard that its access control is much weaker than DSpace. Will it be able to allow certain documents open only to certain people or certain departments?
Thanks.
Sophie
From: Code for Libraries [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bill Janssen [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 4:31 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] DL Systems (allowing search within documents and access restrictions)?

Deng, Sai <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> For access restriction, I mean we would like to have certain documents
> open only to certain communities (UpLib cannot do that, right?).

OK, that's not I typically think of when I hear "DRM".  "Access control"
is (I think) the way it's usually put.

No, UpLib has no built-in access control system, though the hooks are
there, and I know that some have used them to do access control.  I know
of one UpLib application which requires incoming connections to provide
a client certificate, which it uses to give different clients different
access rights.  Probably overkill for most uses.

You'd probably want to do an application-specific Web UI, though -- you
could put the access restrictions there.  I recently saw a Tomcat app
which uses the UpLib Java client-side library to search for documents,
then provided a completely custom UI.

> On second thought, I searched for "DSpace full text search" and found
> this:
> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Configure+full+text+indexing
> However, I haven't seen any instance which shows the full text search
> results as I would see from vendor databases.
>
> Any idea on what system might be good/best for search within documents and DRM?

How about Greenstone?

Bill