Thanks for the questions!
We don't have a clear idea yet and we are looking for a system now. The basic idea is that we'll deposit some licensed materials for some department and open them only to that group. I guess a local account would be ok, of course, if a campus account can be recognized, that's better. They'll need to log in to see the document if it's not ip restricted, right? IP restriction might not be the best way since faculty members will not always be in their departments.

Sophie
From: Code for Libraries [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mark Jordan [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 5:08 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] DL Systems (allowing search within documents and access restrictions)?

Sophie,

It might help some of us on the list to understand what types of access control you need if you can describe some of the ways that the allowed users (people and/or departments, to use your examples) will identify themselves? Will they have already logged into the system with a local (to the system) account, or with a campus account that knows that they are part of a specific department? Will they need to log into he system when they request to see a specific document? Will where they are sitting matter (i.e., restricted by IP address)?

Mark

Mark Jordan
Head of Library Systems
W.A.C. Bennett Library, Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, British Columbia, V5A 1S6, Canada
Voice: 778.782.5753 / Fax: 778.782.3023 / Skype: mark.jordan50