In Perl, something like this might do the trick:

# Fix non-UTF-8 characters with two highest bits set (we assume they are
actually ISO-8859-1)
# Rule: there can't be a single byte with the high bits set followed by
a byte in range 00-7F or C0-FF

$str =~ s/([\xC0-\xFF])(?=[\x00-\x7f\xC0-\xFF])/chr(0xC0 + (ord($1) >>
6)) . chr(0x80 + (ord($1) & 0x3F))/seg;

No wrapping there to keep it single-line. :)

--Ere

--
Ere Maijala
Kansalliskirjasto