Yes, it is designed to be a round-trippable expression of ordinary marc
in XML. Some reasons this is useful:

1. No maximum record length, unlike actual marc which tops out at ~10k.
2. You can use XSLT and other XML tools to work with it, and store it in
stores optimized for XML (or that only accept XML), etc.
3. You can embed it inside XML schema's that allow arbitrary embeddable
XML.
4. (Of much lesser importance than these others, but still ends up being
important to me -- saving the time of the developer does matter) it's a
lot easier to debug the raw data, doesn't require me to open up a hex
editor and count bytes.